The Walter Burley Griffin Society was established in 1988 in Sydney, Australia.
It commemorates the lives and works of Walter Burley Griffin (1876–1937) and Marion Mahony Griffin (1871–1961) and promotes the environmental ideals and community life they fostered in Australia.
Chicago architects Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin won the international design competition for Australia’s national capital, Canberra in 1912.
The following year they moved to Australia and in the next two decades designed over 350 projects in Australia including the towns of Leeton and Griffith, Newman College and the Capital Theatre in Melbourne, and the suburb of Castlecrag in Sydney.
Then Walter Griffin was commissioned to design the library for the University of Lucknow, India. He travelled there in 1935 and Marion followed the next year. In just two years in India, before Walter’s death at the age of 59 from peritonitus in 1937, they designed over ??? projects.
Marion Mahony returned to Sydney and then a year later went back to Chicago where she wrote The Magic of America which documented their lives and work on three continents.